Saturday, May 12, 2012

turning over a new (healthy) leaf

I was recently inspired by two of my fav blogs.  This post by Ashley at The Polluck Potluck and her eee post. 

-eat healthier
-exercise regularly
-engage more purposefully my relationships (husband, kids, God)

When I read this I knew that was exactly what I wanted to do.  She also talks about not setting goals based on quantity(# of pounds to lose, or miles to run) but more on quality.  I'm definitely tired of setting myself up for failure. 

Another bloggess that has served as a healthy inspiration has been Lee over at LEE: Live. Love. Be Lean.  Her blog is full of get fit and healthy inspiration and recipes.

(I stole the word bloggess from Sara over at Saige Wisdom)

I've started and stopped too many diets and workout programs.  This time I'm going to shift my perspective from losing weight for vain reasons, to losing weight to be healthy and have a better quality of life.  I'm going to try and make every aspect of my life healthier, not just the physical. 

Here are a few things I've started doing this week:
  • I started Insanity again.  I'm going to do my best to do it everyday and follow the calendar, but I'm not going to stress about it.  If I miss a day then oh well, I start again the next day.  Plus I really want to start running again.  Maybe I will run a couple days a week and do Insanity a couple days.
  • Eating healthy is where I struggle.  I simply cannot just cut out all carbs and sugar from my diet.  I would be a major grumpy pants.  I'm going to try and incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies into my diet, which I love.  I think I'll take small steps in changing my eating habits. 

  • As far as relationships go I really need to make an effort to plan more date nights with the hubs.  I can feel how unconnected we get when we go too long without quality time. 

  • I'm going to make an effort to ignore housework, every now and then, and play or read with my kids more.  I too often find myself having this conversation with Abigail and Austin.

kids: "Mommy, will you play/read/color/watch a movie with us?"

Me:  "Not right now I need to do the dishes/laundry/clean something"

I'm not proud of those moments. 

  •  I'm reading Beth Moore's book 'Get Out of That Pit', because I've definitely been in a pit lately, when it comes to my walk with God. 

  • Lastly, I've been flossing and taking better care of my skin.  I know that might sound silly, but I'm horrible at flossing and I hate to admit this but most nights I go to bed with all my makeup on, because I'm too tired/lazy to wash my face. 

For the past week, I've washed my face and flossed every night and I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it feels to crawl into bed with a clean face and mouth. 

So this is me turning over a new healthy leaf, which hopefully results in a happy and healthier wife/mother/teacher/follower of Christ/friend.

2 comments:

  1. I've got the same goal here especially with the fruit and veggies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all these totally achievable changes. Can't wait to follow along on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts!!