Tuesday, May 8, 2012

chill pills please

Probably everyone who reads this will think I'm talking about them, and maybe I am!   I just have to get this off my chest. 

Do you ever get to the point when you want to slap the person next you and say

 "CHILL OUT!!" 


 Of course I would never do that, but lately I've been having this desire.  People stress out about the most unimportant things or things that are out of their control.  That being said I realize that what I think is important and what others think is important may not always line up. 

I think what aggrivates me the most is when these people start pulling me into their world of worries.  I find myself stressing and worrying about things that I know I shouldn't and that are out of my control.  I'm not saying I don't ever do this, because I do.  Mostly what I worry and stress about are my children.  Their health, behavior, development, spiritual growth, and the list goes on.  Other than my kid worries, I try to be pretty mellow about things. 

Wow is this post totally vague or what?

Well how about an example.  Lets talk changes happening right now in LA public education. 

Are they wrong?
 Yes, we need change but not this way 

Will they make my job harder and more stressfull?
Yes 

Will possible destroy public education?
it definitly could

Should people be fighting and protesting these changes?
Sure, why not 

But will worrying, stressing, talking about them 24 hours a day, make any difference whatsoever in the end?  NO

Of course I worry about things like this, but I've come to the point where I've said to myself -----

  "Ok, I'm going to the best I can do with my job (still putting my God and family first of course) and if somehow that is not good enough for the politicians, than so be it.  Maybe, I would be better off. Let's put things in perspective: I'm healthy, my husband and kids are healthy and happy. Those are really the most important things to me anyway. We won't end up hungry and homeless. God is in control!" 

 I really like teaching and never planned on doing anythinig else with my life, but my plans are not always God's plans.

Ever since I've had this little discussion with myself, I really do feel lighter. 

This is just one example, there are so many other things that we waste our time worrying about.  I'm totally guilty of stressing about finances WAY TOO MUCH!!
I hope I'm not coming off too harsh, because really I'm talking mostly to myself.  I'm not saying you shouldn't care and be passionate about things.  I'm strictly talking about people who's stress and worry consumes them to the point of being unhealthy

Here are 2 verses I've been leaning on lately. 

Matthew 6:25-34
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

Matthew 6:35
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


What do you do to keep stress and worry at bay? 




3 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower from Kelly's corner Your children are precious...feel free to follow me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think of the positive things and be grateful for the blessings that I have. by the way, nice post dear!

    Babi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how i struggle with this...Worry should have been my middle name. I fight and battle every day to let go. Give it to God. I know, after all, he is the one in control. Thanks for helping me this morning put things into perspective. Thanks for the verses. They are perfect. Have a Blessed day my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts!!