Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Jack rules the roost (he thinks)

I really thought when Jack was born that I was an old pro at this raising kids thing.  I had two already that were very different, how hard could this last one be??  Surely I had seen it all and dealt with it all.

Well, I was very, very wrong.  Let me just tell you, I feel like I am Jack's servant.  He has to have me near him at all times.  He is very, very headstrong and demanding and will fight tooth and nail to have his way.

Lately, his temper and hard headedness has hit an all time high.  For the first time in my child rearing days I had to walk out of a restaurant with my child before we finished eating.  Thank goodness Brent was with us so the other kids could finish.  He wouldn't stay in his seat and was trying to run all over the restaurant and after fussing at him and him starting to scream, I just took him to the car to wait.

Then to top that off, later that same day I had to take him out of a store and sit in the car while Brent finished shopping.  I've never had to do that before either.  He didn't think he needed to sit in the buggy and was screaming bloody murder to get out.

I think the root of the problem is that he has two older sibling that get to do all sorts of cool things, like walk in the store, and he thinks he should be able to do everything they do.  Well he will learn the hard way that we will not bend on the buggy thing.  I'm not allowing my two year old out of the buggy at a store.  I will leave my meal half eaten a hundred times before I allow my two year old to act crazy and run around a restaurant.

It won't take a hundred times (I hope) because kids are pretty smart.  If I have learned one thing from my other two, it's that they will push their boundaries for a while, but if you stand your ground, eventually they will give up and fall in line with the rules.   I just hope it's sooner rather than later.  Jack is pretty smart, so I'm hoping he will quickly figure out that his life will be much happier if he obeys.

Raising kids is hard, but totally worth it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts!!