Wednesday, February 20, 2013

being consistent = well behaved kids

I distinctly remember as a child, my mom getting a lot of compliments on her kids behavior.  
I mean my mom does have some pretty awesome kids, but being well behaved is not genetic.

I knew that when I had children I wanted to get those same types of compliments, and guess what I do!!!!
Seriously, I'm not trying to brag or anything and I am not a child rearing expert, but I do know a thing or two after having three kids and being such an awesome kid myself. (LOL)

  I also don't want people to think my kids are perfectly well behaved all the time, because I can assure you that they are NOT!

#1 and most important is consistency

NEVER GIVE IN!!

You may feel like the bad guy all the time, but if you set a rule or a consequence you MUST follow through!!

Kids are smart, too smart, at a very young age.  They learn quickly what they can get away with and what they can't.  If you don't follow through with a punishment or give in and let them do something they aren't supposed to do, they will quickly figure out that breaking rules have no real consequences.
That is bad, very bad.  

Or if you tell your kids that they cannot get a toy at the store, no matter how much they beg you, DO NOT BUY THEM A TOY!!  

I think all moms know this, but it's not easy.   Many of us will give in, because giving in is much easier in the short term, but will lead to horrible long term consequences.  


We were at the mall one Sunday and Abigail and Austin wanted to sit at the tall table behind us.  They were by themselves, but we were just a table over.  

A lady that we do not know just walked up to us and complimented us for about 5 minutes on their behavior.  She was amazed that they would just sit there and eat so quietly and not get up or get loud.

Luckily, she didn't see Jackson in his stroller, throwing his food and tearing up his styrofoam bowl.  


All three of my kids LOVE Chinese food.  



It feels really good to get compliments, especially from strangers, because making good kids was not easy.  It takes really hard work on the parents part to instill good behavior in a child, but it is 100% worth the results.  



On a completely different note, Jackson got a hold of some fingernail polish and had some fun.

I just laugh and laugh when I look at this picture of him in  his boots and diaper.



Both the boys got way overdue haircuts last week.

Handsome fellas!!



Have a good week.  We are halfway through!!!






2 comments:

  1. Great post!! Yep, consistency is the way to go. It can be difficult at times, but so worth it!! It is so nice to be able to go anywhere with my kiddos without worry of meltdowns. Moms have told me I'm lucky to have well behaved kids. I always want to tell them that it's my kids who are lucky to have parents who are consistent and positive. I have held my tongue thus far though!!

    Your babes are so stinkin cute!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts!!