Sunday, October 14, 2012

lists, lists, I love lists

With Brent's new, much higher, income I've been inspired to get more disciplined with our money.  I know this sounds backwards, but it's true.  Instead of having the usual mindset of having more money means spending more money, we are doing the opposite. 

We have some financial goals we want to meet and for the first time I actually feel like they are in reach. 

If you know me at all you know that I love to make lists.  I love the feeling of checking things off my list as they are accomplished. 

I'm a nerd!

Today I am sharing my list of ways to save/get more out of your money!

1. Turn off all the lights

I'm horrible at this.  I will sometimes leave work in the morning and come home in the afternoon to house that has been very well lit for 8 hours.

2.  Drink water

This probably sounds silly, but that 20 bucks or so that I spend a month on soft drinks will add up.

3. cheap or free activities for the kids.

For example the park, beach, movie night at home, or picnic outside, rather than spending the money on movies, or eating out.

4.  Stop going to the mall for entertainment.

I do this a lot when it's just me and kids and we are bored.  We go walk the mall.  I tell myself it's cheap entertainment and that I won't buy anything, but that's a lie.  After we eat lunch, get cookies, buy toys/clothes that are on sale, I've easily spend 40-50 dollars. 


5.  Change jar.

Most people have one of these already, but we actually didn't have one.  I made a rule that whatever goes cannot come out.  When it fills to the top we will take it to the bank and put in the savings.  Again, I know this is not going to make a huge difference, but it's all about baby steps.



6.  Give it a day.

If there is something we really want to buy we will give it a day to think about it.  If we still really think we need/want it, then we'll go back and get it. 



7.  limit fast food

Fast food and I have a love hate relationship.  It's so easy and convenient, but at the same time it's so unhealthy and a waste of money.  We are trying to limit ourselves to 2 or 3 times a month. 



8.  keep it a tad warmer in the house

Another bad habit of mine is keeping the house freezing cold.  It's a lot of work on our air conditioner and really bumps up our electricity bill.  I'm trying to keep it a few degrees warmer in the house.  This one is proving to be one of the most difficult.



9.  Garage sales/Goodwill

I love going to garage sales, but I've always been hesitant to go shopping in goodwill. I think I could save a ton when it comes to kids clothes and shoes.  They are so young they won't know the difference.


That's it for now.

Nine things I'm hoping will help us be smarter with our money and save more. 

I have about 7 more things I would like to add to this list, but they all require so much time on my part. 

They will just have to wait until I have more free time on my hands. 



Covered in Grace

4 comments:

  1. If I could give up Diet Coke we would save $20 a month, too. But then I'd be a grumpy pants, so I'm trying to find another alternative! HA! :)
    Go for the garage sale-- I just did one and made $100!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list! Great ideas....I'm stealing some. ;-). Have a great week. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jena! I wanted you to know I awarded your blog the Liebster Blog Award. Skip over to my blog for more info. :-)

    Marci...www.lifewithjoys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your About Me blurb and how you states that you don't think anyone will ever read it. That's funny. That's hour I feel sometimes.
    Goodwill = my favorite store. When I was younger I wouldn't step foot in that store or any thrift store. Now, that's where 90% of my clothes/toys/housewares shopping is done. Yard sales are 5% and then 5% from retail stores. For me, it's so much about "The Hunt". Stopping by from Monday Meet up.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts!!